Most of the hikes we have prepared on the Amalfi Coast climb high, using the towering mountains as a vantage point to gain sweeping views along the Gulf of Salerno. This walk is an exception, keeping low and relatively flat - by Amalfi Standards anyway, there is still 250 metres of ascent/descent!
A low altitude walk allows you to ‘zoom in’ and provides the opportunity to explore the minutiae of the creases and folds that make up this dramatic coastline. In this instance, it’s the picturesque cove of Marina di Praia which we skirt from above. Marina di Praia is a natural harbour, with many boats seeking refuge in this sheltered anchorage, one of the region’s most popular beaches, though it only receives sunlight for a few hours during midday, and historically, an important defensive site – you will see the old stone tower which would provide warning about a Saracen attack.
The walk we have prepared reaches the outskirts of Furore, before returning to Praiano the same way you came; I found I noticed many things I had missed the first time and enjoyed the return leg equally.
Tip van de auteur
There are some exposed and unfenced edges throughout the walk; be careful and keep walking on the path.
Much of the path is rocky. Bear in mind these may be slippery when wet, place your feet with care, and use the handrail, where one is provided.
The path is overgrown and may be tricky to follow in places; read the instructions carefully, check the map regularly and look for red dots of paint on many of the rocks, which will help guide you.
Tips en hints
Points of Interest:
San Luca Church
San Luca Church is dedicated to Luke the Evangelist, the Patron Saint of Praiano, and dates to 1588, with a restoration in 1772.
Food and Drink
After leaving Praiano there is nowhere directly along this route to buy food or drink, or to fill up your water bottles, so be sure to carry enough provisions.
At the turnaround point, after 2.6 kilometres, there is a small café if you continue along the road for another 150 metres. At the time of writing, this was only open until 2pm.
Sturdy hiking boots and a waterproof/wind-break layer are required. Walking poles will be a big advantage on some of these ascents and descents.
Ensure your phone is fully charged; if you doubt the battery will last throughout the hike, it might be beneficial to bring a power bank.
Make sure you bring enough water. It is recommended to drink 0.75 litres per 1 hour of hiking.
Basisuitrusting voor wandelen
- Stevige, comfortabele en waterdichte wandelschoenen of wandelschoenen
- Vochtafvoerende kleding in lagen
- Rugzak (met regenhoes)
- Bescherming tegen zon, regen en wind (hoed, zonnebrandcrème, water- en winddichte jas en broek)
- Genoeg proviand en drinkwater
- Eerst hulp set
- Mobiele telefoon
- Contant geld
- Navigatieapparatuur / kaart en kompas
- Gegevens voor in geval van nood
- Deze uitrustingslijst is niet volledig en dient alleen als suggestie voor wat je mee zou moeten nemen.
- Voor je eigen veiligheid moet je alle instructies over het juiste gebruik en onderhoud van je uitrusting zorgvuldig lezen.
- Zorg ervoor dat de apparatuur die je meeneemt, voldoet aan de plaatselijke wetgeving en geen verboden voorwerpen bevat.