The town of Voss, centred around Vangvatsnet lake, is considered by many to be the outdoor activity capital of Norway. During the winter months Voss municipality is the largest snow sports area in Western Norway and throughout summer there are plenty of activities to choose from. Of course, the options for walking on both sides of the lake, but especially around Mt Hanguren, are fantastic.
This loop walk begins with a steep climb up the southwest slopes of Mt Hanguren on a woodland path, which due to the exposed roots and loose rocks can be tricky at parts. Once this initial section is complete however, the walking is simple as you stroll on the plateau enjoying views over Voss and passing by a number of small waterfalls, and a beautiful mountain lake before descending back through the forest. If it is open, take the opportunity to look around the Voss Folkemuseum, situated near to the start point.
Tips en hints
During your hike your bags can be stored safely at the train station using the secure & weatherproof lockers. Remember to collect them again after your walk before taking the train to Bergen!
The walk is a short distance from the centre of Voss, which is well served with multiple shops as-well-as a good number of small, reasonably priced restaurants.
Voss Folkemuseum: An interesting museum, opened in 1917 with the purpose of preserving items of historic interest from around Voss. There are over 20,000 items in the museum’s collection, including buildings which have been standing in place for over 500 years. For opening times see http://www.vossfolkemuseum.no/en/news-and-events (closed September).
Outdoor Norway: A young start-up offering guided and un-guided outdoor activities and equipment rental, Outdoor Norway is operated by Marcio who combines excellent knowledge of Voss with skills and a good teaching manner. The prices are reasonable and the equipment is of good quality – those looking to do something other than walking (mountain biking/white water rafting/kayaking/paddle boarding) can find Marcio’s rental area by the lake in Voss, below Fleischer’s Hotel.
UitrustingStudy walking boots are recommended and as the weather can change quickly it is useful to pack your waterproof gear.
Basisuitrusting voor wandelen
- Stevige, comfortabele en waterdichte wandelschoenen of wandelschoenen
- Vochtafvoerende kleding in lagen
- Rugzak (met regenhoes)
- Bescherming tegen zon, regen en wind (hoed, zonnebrandcrème, water- en winddichte jas en broek)
- Genoeg proviand en drinkwater
- Eerst hulp set
- Mobiele telefoon
- Contant geld
- Navigatieapparatuur / kaart en kompas
- Gegevens voor in geval van nood
- Deze uitrustingslijst is niet volledig en dient alleen als suggestie voor wat je mee zou moeten nemen.
- Voor je eigen veiligheid moet je alle instructies over het juiste gebruik en onderhoud van je uitrusting zorgvuldig lezen.
- Zorg ervoor dat de apparatuur die je meeneemt, voldoet aan de plaatselijke wetgeving en geen verboden voorwerpen bevat.