From the central square in Xaghra the route leads downhill through the village of Is-Srug with the imposing cross of “Tas-Salvatur” on a nearby hilltop. The seaside town of Marsalforn is bright and cheerful and leads to a level coastal path past the Saltpans. The path then leaves the slat pans behind and climbs steadily to the imposing citadel of Victoria. From here the return to Xahgra is on level minor lanes with a steep ascent in the last 2km. Alternatively, you can take one of the regular buses from Victoria to Xaghra.
Please note that there are way-markers in places but these are inconsistent and so are of little help for your route-finding.
Tips and hints
This walk is part of the following itineraries:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.