A nice walk with good views which is rather exposed in some sections and includes a walk through a 75m tunnel. The descent to Ribeira Brava is very steep but some sections have steps,
Distance 10.4 km
Today’s walk starts directly from the hotel and explores the charming valley of Tabua by following the Levada Nova which offers good views of the coastal towns, sea and verdant Tabua valley. The path can be exposed in parts, and included in today’s hike is a section through a 75m tunnel– so be sure to take your headtorch with you, there are also few easy river crossings. Today’s walk is a fantastic and varied introduction to walking on Madeira.
Update: January 16, 2018
Safety informationSections can be slippy or with loose rock so care should be taken with your footing. You may also encounter some sections where the path is narrow and with no handrails so please take extra care here. There can be some rocks or branches blocking the path which are easily passed but take care when you do this.
28S 306271 3617369
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view