The ascent to the summit of Katrin and Feuerkogel requires surefootedness. If you want to skip this section, take the Katrin cable car to the mountain station and enjoy the panorama view from there.
In rainy weather, the trails can be muddy and slippery. Take footwear with good tread that gives you support.
Inquire about the current weather conditions (e.g. in your accommodation or at the local tourist information office) and watch the weather changes. Pay attention to any diversion information.
Please do not enter the pastures despite the diversion sign and follow the diversion until you are back on the regular path.
Tips and hints
More information about the Katrin cable car can be found here: www.katrinseilbahn.com
Timetable information for the bus, trains & ferries can be found here: https://www.ooevv.at/?seite=home&sprache=EN
We recommend that you wear well-worn hiking shoes with a good profile. In addition, a waterproof rain jacket and rain pants in bad weather and sunscreen and a sun hat in good weather.
Always take enough water with you (at least 1 litre). Hiking sticks can take the strain off your knees when hiking
In your information package, you will find a detailed list of the hiking equipment you need, such as good hiking shoes, functional clothing, rain jackets and daypacks.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.