An easy day walking across dunes and sea promenades to Praia da Ancora.
Distance 18.6 km
Before leaving Viana do Castelo, take time to climb the funicular to the eucalyptus-clad hill of Monte de Santa Luzia or visit the exquisite neo-Byzantine Temple to the Sacred Heart of Jesus for panoramic views of Viana. Heading out of the city, cross many beaches via wooden footbridges over the dunes and walk along sea promenades. Discover the Fort of Santiago de Barra as well as the impressive wind mills of Montedor. Reach Praia da Ancora, where you can perhaps take a dip in the sea!
Update: August 01, 2018
Tips and hints
This walk is part of the following itineraries:
29T 514404 4615724
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view