A mainly easy and enjoyable walk in beautiful surroundings. Some exposed areas.
Distance 10 km
Arrive at Rabacal National Park by private transfer (1 hr). One of the most iconic walking spots on Madeira, the sub-tropical forests and pretty waterfalls have earned this spot UNESCO world heritage status. Following a levada path you come across the 25 natural springs of Rabacal—a collection of waterfalls. Continue on a detour to the Risco waterfall– the tallest on the island. You will be picked up and taken to your next destination (35 mins); Jardim do Mar. On the return journey, you have the opportunity to visit a sugar cane factory– part working factory and part museum.
Update: January 16, 2018
Safety informationLook out for branches at head height and exposed roots and rocks at some sections of the path. Bring a head torch for the 800m long Riders Tunnel which is not lit.
28S 300126 3626098
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view