Walk from Rifugio Passo Duran to Rifugio Fontana with ever-impressive alpine vistas.
Distance 16.1 km
Today you’ll be walking via the Forcella del Moschesin (1950m) and up the rocky western slopes of the Cima de Zita. From Rif. Passo Duran follow the route to Rif. Pramparet, then enter the Parco Nazionale delle Dolomiti Bellunesi, the wildest of the national parks on the trail and with a good chance of spotting deer and marmots. Then follow route 514; in one or two places the gradient particularly steep. Pay particular attention to the way-marking as you reach a rocky area that leads to a ridge path on the day’s highest pass at 2451 m. The ridge path requires some preparation – both physical and mental – as it feels somewhat exposed. The sense of achievement of having reached the last high pass on the Alta Via 1 is fantastic! Enjoy glimpses of the Venetian plain and watch out for chamois and marmots as you descend sharply to Rifugio Pian de Fontana (1632 m).
Update: August 31, 2018
Tips and hints
This route appears on the following itineraries:
33T 276492 5134300
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view