Safety informationThe red and white markers are less frequent on today’s walk, and the path grassy and vague in small sections so please pay special attention to the route notes. During the final few kilometres on the approach to San Lorenzo the track through the forest is cobbled and can be slippery when wet so take care here.
Tips and hints
There are only a couple of small mountain refuges to pass on today's route, these are very likely to me closed so ask at Rifugio Cacciatore for a packed lunch the evening you arrive for the day ahead. On reaching San Lorenzo there are plenty of places to get a refreshment while waiting on the bus.
Comano Terme where you will overnight also has plenty of options for refreshments, and dinner.
Bus timetables for San Lorenxo in Banale to Comano Terme can be found at: http://www.ttesercizio.it/
The village of Comano Terme is beautifully situated on the edge of the Sarca River on the floor of the Sarca valley.
Visit Comano link: www.visitacomano.it/lang/EN/homepage
EquipmentThe weather in the mountains, as normal, can be very mixed so make sure to pack layers, and waterproofs for cooler, wet days. For warmers days remember sunglasses, hat, and suncream for protection. Normal hiking equipment in a 20-30 litre rucksack, and walking boots or sturdy walking shoes are needed. Walking poles for the ascents and descents are highly recommended.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.