A wonderful walk to the mountain village of Makrinitsa then through a forest with views of Volos before entering a lush green gorge.
Distance 12.3 km
Today you begin by walking to the traditional mountain village of Makrinitsa, which has characterful stone houses with slated roofs. You’ll follow the trail through the maquis shrubland scented with thyme and oregano as you walk to an idyllic church. Ascend through a forest and then via a track towards Portaria, whilst enjoying views over the city of Volos en route. Before reaching Portaria you will enter and walk through a lush green gorge.
Update: August 27, 2021
34S 672052 4362045
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view