When you reach the River Erme you will either need to wade across within an hour either side of low tide, or take the alternative inland walk or taxi transfer around the valley. After some steep climbing to the high viewpoints near Westcombe Beach you will descend past Ayrmer Cove to Bigbury-on-Sea, with stunning views across to Burgh Island.
Alternative route — The alternative walking route round the Erme estuary is described in the guidebook. This is an additional distance of 8 miles/14km.
Tips and hints
This route is used in the following itineraries:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.