Be prepared to climb after passing through the gate on your way to Keld enroute to Tan Hill. Descend to moorland and follow the way to Baldersdale.
Distance 24.5 km
After departing from Keld, pass through Stonesdale Moor and onwards to Tan Hill, where you will find the infamous Tan Hill Inn (England’s highest pub), a great place to stop for lunch if you can time it right. Then head off across Sleightholme Moor before reaching Trough Heads, where you have the option of following the direct route to Baldersdale or the longer Bowes Loop via the small town of Bowes and its castle, a Norman keep dating from 1087.
Tips and hints
This route is used in the following itineraries:
NY 89494 01037
30U 554308 6028871
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view