Let the open meadows filled with wild flowers, in the summer, woo you before what will be one of the most challenging climbs of the Pennine Way.
Distance 15.3 km
From Hawes to Thwaite you must overcome the longest continual ascent on the Way, Great Shunner Fell, before arriving in the picture-postcard scenery of Swaledale and the small town of Thwaite.
Tips and hints
This route is used in the following itineraries:
SD 87243 89827
30U 552216 6017630
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view