You just need this route if you have decided to walk the extra 2.5-4 miles (depending on your particular B&B) from Gairlochy to the village of Spean Bridge which is located off the Great Glen Way.
Leave Gairlochy on single track road, the B8004. Please be careful of traffic on this road - as per the UK Highway Code it is best to walk on the right hand side of the road into oncoming traffic so that you are most visible to vehicle drivers. There are excellent views from this road over the surrounding countryside. If you are staying in the village of Spean Bridge you will continue passed the Commando Memorial monument which, on a good day, has magnificent views towards Ben Nevis. After some time at the monument turn right onto the A82, and using the pavement, follow this busier road as it descends into Spean Bridge.
Tips and hints
This tour appears in the following itineraries:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.