This is the most remote section of the Highland Perthshire Trail and possibly the Scottish Coast to Coast itineraries. For a section of the middle of this walk, you'll be navigating across open moorland and fording two streams without a path. You should be comfortable in navigating with a map and compass should you need.
Be prepared with plenty of food and water, extra layers and a fully charged phone (plus back-up power bank.) Be sure to watch the weather and fog and low-lying cloud could make navigating across the shoulder of Schiehallion (at the height of approx 600 meters) difficult.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.