The trail begins with an easy walk along the canal, heading up the Great Glen and through woodland that is home to red squirrels.
Distance 24.3 km
Enjoy a lovely walk today, with views of Britain’s tallest mountain, Ben Nevis, and you’ll also enjoy the impressive eight locks of Neptune’s Staircase along the Caledonian Canal. Take in the panorama of the Commando Memorial as you make your way to Gairlochy, then on to Spean Bridge.
Update: January 24, 2018
Tips and hints
This walk appears in the following itineraries:
NN 10508 74181
30V 371429 6299371
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view