Safety informationThe first part of the route can be exposed in bad weather with poor visibility so stick to the main path. Some of the descents are steep and rocky so take your time and take care. These could be slippery in wet conditions and we highly recommend the use of walking poles.
Tips and hints
There are no refreshment stops on the route so be sure to carry food and plenty of drink. Coniston has several shops where groceries are available. There is a pub in Seathwaite but opening times vary.
Boot is only small with a couple of pubs serving meals, a public phone box and a small gift shop. There is no mobile signal in the village.
Points of Interest.
There has been a Mill here since Medieval Times, the existing 16th century corn mill is one of the oldest water powered mills in England. There is a small donation charge for entry.
Ravenglass/Eskdale Steam Railway.
This is a narrow gauge steam railway running 7 miles between Ravenglass and Dalegarth Station near Boot. There is a shop and cafe at Dalegarth Station.
EquipmentEven in the summer months conditions on the Fells are changeable, so take extra layers of warm clothing and waterproofs. A good pair of boots are essential on the rocky terrain and gaiters may be advisable for the muddy sections if preferred.Walking poles would be useful on the descents.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.