Walk through two lovely valleys (barrancos), past the pottery-making village of El Cercado, then onward to one of the most beautiful valleys on the island - Barranco de Valle Gran Rey, full of terraced farms and palm trees. You have the option to stop for lunch in Las Hayas, at a restaurant where they serve traditional Canarian dishes. From here begin your descent through lush surroundings full of palm trees, junipers, heather, and bay laurels. After approximately 6 hours walking, traverse Valle de Los Loros to reach Vallehermoso.
The descent on the last section is long and sometimes steep - it may be too exposed if you have a fear of heights or suffer from vertigo. It can be avoided by choosing the alternate route (shortcut) at way point 26, this takes you directly to Vallehermoso.
Tips and hints
This walk is part of the following itineraries:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.