A tough climb at the start, then walk through mixed terrain through fields, moorland and into Brontë country.
Distance 17.2 km
Your most challenging part of the walk begins only a couple of miles in. The diversity of the path will keep you on your toes, but the open scenery rewards. Cross Heptonstall Moor to Graining Water, then continue past several resevoirs and into Ponden. This is Brontë country, and the sisters lived nearby in Haworth.
Tips and hints
This route is used in the following itineraries:
SD 97196 26413
30U 563064 5954362
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view