Another ferry crossing awaits shortly after you leave Bigburg-on-Sea today. Ahead is one of the most beautiful stretches of the South West Coast Path.
Cross the River Avon by ferry (seasonal) to Bantham this morning. Passing through part of the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, a fairly easy walk takes you past Thurlestone to the picturesque coastal sanctuary of Hope Cove. The section through to Bolt Tail and Bolt Head and on to Salcombe is thought to be one of the most scenic on the entire South West Coast Path offering spectacular views back along the Devon Coast.
Alternative route - the alternative walking route around the Avon Estuary is well way marked. This is an additional distance of 9 miles/14.5km.
Tips and hints
This route is used in the following itineraries:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.