You will begin your walk after a car transfer to the Radovna Valley, an untouched wilderness between the Pokljuka and Mežakla plateaus. You will be dropped off at the start of the stunning 1.6km Vintgar Gorge, carved 150m deep into the mountains by the Radovna River. The trail leads along a wooden walkway through the gorge and onwards to the world-famous Bled Lake, via the lovely Katarina Church viewpoint. Your hotel is on the western side of the town, overlooking the lake
Bled is a uniquely picturesque town sitting on the shores of the glacial Lake Bled and overlooked by the imposing medieval Bled Castle perched atop a rocky ridge. Traditional wooden barges called Pletna to ply their trade to a small island that is the location of the Assumption of Mary Pilgrimage Church, itself sitting on the site of a temple of Ziva, the Slavic goddess of love and fertility.
There is no better way to finish your day’s walk than with a welcome vanilla and cream kremna rezina pastry while overlooking the lake.
Safety informationThe roads rarely have pavements take care as Slovenian drivers are quite fast and don’t give walkers much space
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.