Follow more forested paths, streams and lochs, passing Menteith hills on this relatively flat section moving through the heart of the Trossachs to Callander.
Distance 16 km
An unforgettable day’s walk through beautiful scenery as you head towards Callander, which sits on the edge of the Trossachs and is known as the gateway to the highlands. On the descent towards Loch Venachar the mountain views are breathtaking. Callander is home to a thriving Rob Roy industry as this was the heart of his territory; don’t miss the Rob Roy story at the visitor centre.
Please note that from August 2021 - The Rob Roy Way route that heads out of Aberfoyle town centre has changed. The original route went along the main street of the village and then north through the middle of the Dounans residential outdoor centre. Local authorities have been working with Dounans Centre staff and Forest and Land Scotland and have decided to realign the route away from the residential centre. This adds around 0.5km to your walking day - Please ensure you follow it on the app (it has been updated accordingly).
Tips and hints
This tour appears in the following itineraries:
NN 52041 00959
30V 414015 6226779
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view