Cross the Elbe by ferry and walk to the Schramstein rocks. Please be aware that today’s walk involves a number of very steep rocky paths and sections where the route requires you to use iron steps in the rock.
On leaving the rocks you walk through fine woodland to the cave at Kuhstall. The cave is also know as the ‘cow stall’ cave and was the subject of paintings by the Romantic Artists.
Continue to the valley of the Kirnitzsch. From here you return to Bad Schandau, either along the path by the river, or using the historic Kirnitzsch valley trams.
EquipmentA sturdy pair of walking trainers are adequate for this route if you don't wish to wear hiking boots. Along with your usual kit for a day walking in the elements make sure you pack an extra layer and a full set of waterproof
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.