Make a decision today if you would like to walk the southern detour route via Samos or the northern direct route via San Xil, both options are detailed in your book.
The shorter northern route has new woodland paths which have increased the natural paths by 60% and it takes you up a steep climb to alto do Riocabo, which has beautiful views. The southern route takes you along the busy LU-633 and via the Benedctine monastery of Samos which is one of the oldest and largest monastries in Spain.
Tips and hints
This walk is part of the following itineraries:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.