This stage is a Lakeland classic, taking you on a straightforward climb up past Lining Crag to Greenup Edge. There are high level and low level options for this walk; this route is the lower one.
The walk is often combined with the next one taking you to Patterdale, making the walk 27.5 km. If you stick to the valley the walk isn't too demanding, if you would like more of a challenge head up the high level track.
Grasmere is a perfect spot to break for lunch or to finish your day. Mix amoung walkers and day tourists to soak up the atmosphere Wordsworth called 'the fairest place on earth'.
Tips and hints
This walk is part of the following itineraries:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.