Today's varied route follows the Dolomite Höhenweg trail/Alta via Dolomiti, maintaining a roughly constant elevation, then descend to the beautifully located Lago de Foses.
After a short climb, a steep descent brings you to the lovely Valon Scuro. On the other side of the valley, climb back up towards the Lago Le Casun. An old military gravel road winds it way up to to Fodara Vedla, a picturesque village and a nice place for a break. The gravel road continues and after a long, steep and spectacular descent to Rifugio Pederü, start the final ascent to Fanes on a well marked mountain trail. If the weather is bad, the route can be shortened by taking the dirt road that goes directly to Rifugio Fodara Vedla, then on to Rifugio Pederù avoiding the lakes.
Tips and hints
This route features in the below itineraries:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.