This hike starts with a short steep section that takes you to Limo Lake, from where it becomes a walk along an unpaved road winding its way through pleasant alpine scenery, then ascends above the tree line on a rocky and lose gravel trail to the foot of the dramatic Monte Castello (2,760 m) outcrop where the small bivacco is located. The views of the underlying rocky valleys are breathtaking. The track was originally a military road during WW1 bringing supplies to the front, at Monte Castello.
NOTE: Close to Monte Castello there can be sections of snow, walking poles are very useful.
Tips and hints
This route features in the below itineraries:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.