Safety informationThe exposed sections and the crossing of a footbridge require a lack of vertigo. In winter this route along the levada can be slippery in places where there are small waterfalls and wet leaves. You will cross a few roads during your walk and even though most of them are quiet, please take care when crossing.
Tips and hints
Packed lunch is essential on today’s walk as you won’t pass any restaurants or cafes along the way, packed lunch is available at your accommodation in Machico (at a small additional cost). Make sure to order the packed lunch upon your arrival or at least the night before.
Always make sure to carry plenty of water and to keep hydrated during your walk.
EquipmentAll normal walking equipment are required: walking shoes/boots, water and windproof jacket, plenty of water and snacks for during the day. Be careful when you are planning on taking your walking poles with you as the paths can sometimes be quite narrow and there might not be enough space for them. It is required to take your headtorch with you today as you’ll pass through numerous tunnels.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.