There are a couple of sections where the path is quite rocky, but there are always ropes provided to make sure you can get past safely. Please use these if necessary.
After about 12 km, there is also a narrow wooden bridge that you will have to cross. Please keep in mind that if a lot of people are on the bridge it can move the bridge quite dramatically. Please keep this in mind as you are crossing the bridge. Immediately after the bridge, the path up is quite wet from surrounding streams, so you will have to be careful with your footing here, as the rocks can be very slippery.
Tips and hints
We do recommend that you start your day early today, as it will take some time to get to Les Houches and take the cable car up. That way, you will have plenty of time to enjoy your walk, have plenty of breaks, enjoy a nice picnic, and then take the cable car back down to Les Houches. We also suggest that you bring your own food from Chamonix, as there are limited options for food once you are starting your walk. This will also give you the flexibility to enjoy a picnic at one of the many scenic spots that you will pass.
Return tickets can be bought from the Cable Car station down in Les Houches. Please check information regarding prices and the latest timetables at:
This walk is included in the following itineraries:
EquipmentSturdy hiking boots will suffice for today's walk. Hiking poles will also definitely come in handy, as there are quite some ascents and descents.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.