Pass by the foot of Storasula, a green cone volcano, then the trail enters the black ash deserts of Maelifellssandur. Another ancient volcano, Hattfell, rises up to greet you as you cross the pastures of the Emstrur region; farmers used to graze their sheep here in summer.
Distance 16.2 km
Visit the remarkable Markarfljot canyon, which plunges almost 200m down into the rocks south of Hattfell. Overnight at the Botnar Hut.
Update: June 30, 2021
27V 587244 7082648
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view