The drive that encompasses Estes Park to Alpine Ridge Visitor's Center Hike, Colorado River Trailhead, and to Grand Lake
Distance 78.2 km
This drive covers the entire day's driving route. First, from Estes Park to the Apline Ridge Visitor's Center for the Alpine Ridge Trail. Second, to the Colorado River Trailhead for either Shipler's Cabin or Lulu City hikes. Lastly, to Grand Lake for your night's accommodation.
Fuel up your car in Estes as there will be no gas until Grand Lake.
Update: July 16, 2019
Trail Ridge Road is stunning, but there are a few dangers to be aware of.
- Elk and other wildlife will often cross the road, oblivious of cars
- Other drives may drive distracted with the surrounding views. Drive defensively and always be aware.
- Bikers sometimes take up space on the shoulder. Pass with care.
- There are sections without guardrails leading to steep drops. Again, drive aware.
13T 456263 4469940
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view