The village of Kenmore dates from the 16th century. It and the neighbouring castle were originally known as Balloch (from Gaelic bealach, 'pass'). The original village was sited on the north side of the river approximately two miles from its present site and was known as Inchadney.
In 1540 Sir Colin Campbell of Glenorchy started the construction of Balloch castle on the opposite bank of the river and the entire village was moved to a prominent headland by the shores of Loch Tay, hence the name Kenmore, which translates from Scots Gaelic to "big (or large) head". The village as its seen today is a model village laid out by 3rd Earl of Breadalbane in 1760. Overnight accommodation stop with dining options in the village.